The development of sheet piling and the Warrington-Vulcan hammers was about the same time (along with concrete piles, other types of steel piles, and the Engineering News Formula.) The years leading up to World War I were ones of rapid development in the marine construction and deep foundation industries, and Vulcan was in the middle of it all.
This part of the website is to look at these developments, both from the standpoint of sheet piling itself (its types and design) and its construction.
Sheet Piling History, Design and Application
- A Vulcan View of Hot-Rolled Sheet Piling
- Design of Sheet Pile Walls, including monographs and papers on the subject
- A Simple Example of Braced Cut Analysis
- The Raising of the Maine, Cellular Cofferdams, Why Puerto Rico is Part of the U.S., and Why Puerto Ricans are Americans
- Anchored Sheet Pile Wall Analysis Using Fixed End Method Without Estimation of Point of Contraflexure
- SPW 2006: Arnold Verruijt’s academic software for analysing sheet pile walls
- Educational Resources for Sheet Pile Design
- Foundation Design and Analysis: Retaining Walls, Cantilever Sheet Pile Walls
- Foundation Design and Analysis: Retaining Walls, Anchored Sheet Pile Walls
- Foundation Design and Analysis: Retaining Walls, Braced Cuts
- Foundation Design and Analysis: Sheet Pile Walls, Cantilever and Anchored, and Braced Cuts (slide presentation)
- Basic Configuration of Sheet Pile Design Analysis — Pile Buck Magazine
Installing and Removing Sheet Piling, and Vulcan’s Role
- In the Catalogue: Vulcan Leaders, Rigs and Accessories, 1906-1931, which includes information on historical sections of sheet piling and how Vulcan applied its hammers to their installation early in its own history of pile driving equipment
- Making an Impact on Sheet Piling, describing how caps were designed–and sheet piling interlocked–in the Chicago years
- Sheet Pile Templates, how Vulcan designed its caps for sheeting (or at least some of them)
- NASSPA Best Practices Sheet Piling Installation Guide. A definitive reference on the subject.
- Installation and Extraction of Metal Sheet Piling. A Soviet view, very indicative of the classic European method of doing this kind of work.
- Vulcan Pile Extractors, and the Wood Pile Puller. Sheet piling wasn’t the only reason Vulcan developed these machines, but it was one of the most important.
- Vulcan #5: The First Closed Hammer
- Delmag on Driving Sheet Piles
4 thoughts on “Vulcan and Sheet Piling”